Sunday, May 19, 2013

Moments to remember

There was a picture circulating Facebook a few weeks back that made me tear up a bit. It was a Mom holding her twin babies in bed and to the side of the picture was a scrapbook of memories that she wanted to remember. Boy, do I know how she feels. With every one of my sweet babies, I cannot even begin to tell to you how many times I have stopped and thought- I need to remember this. I need to remember this smell, this feeling, that touch. There is nothing more fulfilling and nothing that fills your heart with more joy; than how your baby makes you feel. It is the closest thing to heaven we have here on earth.

Here is the picture.



The memories she wanted to remember were:


  • How do you capture the tiny, delicate sound of their sleep breathing?
  • The way they pat your arm, only half conscious, to make sure you're still there?
  • The way their little hands are the warmest, softest, gentlest things you've ever felt?
  • The way their warm little bodies are at once the snuggliest and the heaviest objects on earth?
  • The way the tops of their heads smell so sweet?
  • The way they laugh like Christmas morning about 2 minutes after falling asleep?
  • The way they melt into your embrace like they've always been there?
  • The way you close your eyes, and pray to remember every single detail?



YES, to all of these. But I have some more in their first few months of life .....


  • The smell of their milk breath. Only a mother could truly appreciate that soft sweet smell.
  • Their warm neck. Just try not to kiss it.
  • The 'sucking sigh'. After every suckle, there is a satisfying sigh. That sound makes me melt. Makes me proud. Makes me feel like everything is right in mine and their world.
  • The way their head fits in the nook of your neck.
  • The way they sink into your hands after a burb.
  • Their sharp little nails, scratching your chest, and small little hands cradling your finger.
  • When you kiss their cheek, how they move their lips to yours.
  • Their panic whimpers to pick them up and how they sigh once you do.
  • Their huge stretches, every limb extended.
  • Their smell. If only you could bottle that smell.
  • The way their mouth makes an '0' shape when you are talking to them.
  • Their first smile. A picture doesn't do it justice. That picture doesnt show how you feel knowing that your baby knows you.

How could I ever live without a baby in my life? What am I going to do if Molly is my last and all these precious moments are the last time I'll experience them? How do you remember all these? 

You write them down. You live in the moment. Experience it. Notice it. Embrace it. And vow to never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment